Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eating now. Constant bliss

I stopped by Surdyk's yesterday to check out their cheese selection.  It's reputed to be the best in the state, though I wasn't impressed on my previous visit.

I was wrong.

Best selection I've seen in the US.  Great variety in every category, and lots of imports from Europe.

Only caveat.  The cheese was still wrapped in plastic. But they were very loosely wrapped, not heat sealed, so the intent may have been good.

Anyway, one of the soft cheeses I purchased was called 'Constant Bliss'.  It's a cow's milk cheese, and resembles a triple cream, but it's not. Texturally, it resembled Humbolt Fog: a nice while bloom, soft and runny around the edges, but drier and with a grainy appearance in the center.  Taste: mild, but rich and buttery. The producers describe the process of making it, but one detail caught me eye:


"Seasonal variations in the milk result in variations on the surface and flavor of the cheese".  


I've heard this before, and am beginning to believe it.  But why doesn't that show up in the milk we buy at the grocery?

Here's picture.  Notice the loose wrapping, which is a like a glossy wax paper.



And remarkably inexpensive: $9.00 for the above.

It was produced by a small creamery called Jasper Hill.

Here's the link.

http://www.jasperhillfarm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=148

1 comment:

  1. The gouda may not have been as good as the best stuff you got in France, but it was d*&n good, and deserves mention, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete