Saturday, April 23, 2011

Listening to Now. Art Tatum

Another Saturday morning selection (but with a bit more).




Some background from Ira Gilter (whose book 'Swing to Bop' is considered essential, and soon to be in my library).



Finally, Oscar Peterson was one of my favorite jazz pianist while I was in college.  He led me to Art Tatum. I don't think it's too much to say that Art Tatum is to Oscar Peterson as Jimi Hendrix is to Stevie RayVaughan.

Here's a sample of Oscar Peterson.

But strap yourself in before listening.  The speed is incredible. I'm not sure who is more amazing: Peterson or Henning.  Actually, I think Henning because of the limitations of the instrument.



Credits are included in the beginning of the clips.  Ray Brown was Oscar Peterson's long term bass player.  Peterson also toured and recorded extensively with Joe Pass.

Kate and I saw Niels (Henning Orsted) Peterson perform with Joe Pass.  Henning's speed was in full display.  I thought that he was actually faster than Joe Pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment